India is the fastest developing country in Asia. Its tourism includes all traditional and cultured network. Some of the famous places are Taj Mahal, Amber Palace, Hawa Mahal, Red Fort, Agra Fort, Ganges, Ranthambore National Park, Qutub Minar, Mehrangarh, Humayun’s Tomb, India Gate etc. Bhubaneswar City is known for its ancient culture located in Orissa. Bhubaneswar located on the Costal area and it includes the following places for tourism. Lingaraja Temple, Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves, Nandankanan Zoological Park, Dhauli, Odisha State Museum, Rajarani Temple, Dhauli Shanti Stupa and many more.
Dhauli hills are located on the banks of the river Daya, 8 km south of Bhubaneswar in Odisha (India). It is a hill with vast open space adjoining it, and has major Edicts of Ashoka engraved on a mass of rock, by the side of the road leading to the summit of the hill. Dhauli hill is presumed to be the area where the Kalinga War was fought.
Ashoka had a special weakness for Dhauli, where the battle was fought. The Daya river is said to have turned red with the blood of the many deceased after the battle, and enabled Ashoka to realize the magnitude of horror associated with war. He saw to it that Dhauli became an important centre of Buddhist activities. He built several chaityas, stupas and pillars there. He got abodes excavated for the recluse, instructions inscribed for officials, expounded the main principles of dandaniti for the public, provided special status to his new kingdom including the stupas at Dhauli.
Konark Sun Temple is a 13th-century CE Sun Temple at Konark in Orissa, India. It is believed that the temple was built by king Narasimhadeva I of Eastern Ganga Dynasty in 1255 CE. The temple complex is in the shape of a gigantic chariot, having elaborately carved stone wheels, pillars and walls. A major part of the structure is now in ruins. The temple is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and has also featured on various list of Seven Wonders of India. The temple is 35 km from Puri and 65 km from Bhubaneswar.
According to Bhavishya Purana and Samba Purana, there may have been a sun temple in the region earlier than current one, dating to the 9th century or earlier. The books mention three sun temples at Mundira (possibly Konark), Kalapriya (Mathura), and Multan.
Raghurajpur is a heritage crafts village in Puri district, Odisha, known for its master Pattachitra painters, an art form which dates back to 5 BC in the region and Gotipua dance troupes, the precursor to the Indian classical dance form of Odissi. It is also known as the birthplace of one of the finest Odissi exponents and Guru, Kelucharan Mohapatra. Apart from that, the village is also home to crafts like Tussar paintings, palm leaf engravings, stone and wood carvings, wooden, cowdung and papier mache toys, and masks.
In 2000, after a two-year research and documentation project by INTACH, starting 1998, the village was chosen to be developed as state's first heritage village and developed as a Crafts village, soon the village had an interpretation centre, commissioned artwork on the walls of the artists’ homes and a rest house.
Ratnagiri was once the site of a mahavihara, or major Buddhist monastery, in the Brahmani and Birupa river valley in Jajpur district of Odisha, India. It is close to other Buddhist sites in the area, including Pushpagiri, Lalitgiri and Udayagiri.
A large-scale excavation was conducted at the site between 1958 and 1961. The report of these excavations was published by the A.S.I. Mitra (1981 and 1983) uncovering much of what is known today. The main stupa dates to the 9th century CE and was likely built on the site of an earlier, Gupta-era stupa. Seals were found bearing the legend Sri Ratnagiri Mahavihariya Aryabikshu Sanghasya, helped identify it. Prominent, well-preserved standing statues of the bodhisattvas Vajrapani and Padmapani can be found in niches in a portico. Monastery No. 2 features a central paved courtyard flanked by a pillared veranda around which are eighteen cells, a central shrine featuring an image of Shakyamuni in Varada Mudra flanked by Brahma and Sakra, and elaborately ornamented entrance porticos.
Udayagiri and Khandagiri Caves are partly natural and partly artificial caves of archaeological, historical and religious importance near the city of Bhubaneswar in Odisha, India. The caves are situated on two adjacent hills, Udayagiri and Khandagiri, mentioned as Kumari Parvat in the Hathigumpha inscription. They have a number of finely and ornately carved caves built during 2nd century BCE.It is believed that most of these caves were carved out as residential blocks for Jain monks during the reign of King Kharavela.Udayagiri means "Sunrise Hill" and has 18 caves while Khandagiri has 15 caves.
The caves of Udayagiri and Khandagiri, called lena or leṇa in the inscriptions, were dug out mostly during the reign of Kharavela for the abode of Jaina ascetics. The most important of this group is Ranigumpha in Udayagiri which is a double storeyed monastery. Other important caves include Hathi gumpha, Ananta gumpha, Ganesha gumpha, Jaya Vijaya gumpha, Mancapuri gumpha, Bagh gumpha and Sarpa gumpha.
The Balukhand-Konark Wildlife Sanctuary is a wildlife sanctuary located in the Indian state of Odisha.
The sanctuary has an area of 72 km², and is located along the Bay of Bengal coast, between the towns of Puri and Konark. The sanctuary includes sandy beaches, coastal dunes, groves of introduced Casuarina trees planted in 1916-17, and cashew plantations. Little of the native flora remains. The sanctuary was designated in 1984.
The sanctuary is home to a herd of Blackbuck (Antilope cervicapra). Olive Ridley Sea Turtles (Lepidochelys olivacea) nest on the beaches.
Chandrabhaga Beach is situated three km east of the Sun temple of Konark, in the Puri district in the state of Odisha, India. It is 30 km from the city of Puri. Formerly Chandrabhaga was considered a place of natural cure for lepers.
Mukteshvara Temple is a 10th-century Hindu temple dedicated to Shiva located in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. The temple dates back to 950–975 CE and is a monument of importance in the study of the development of Hindu temples in Odisha.
The Mukteshvara Temple is found to be the earliest work from the Somavamshi period. Most scholars believe the temple is the successor to Parashurameshvara Temple and built earlier to the Brahmeswara Temple (1060 CE). Percy Brown puts the date of construction of the temple to 950 CE. The presence of a torana, which is not part of any other temple in the region, makes this temple unique and some of the representations indicate the builders were starters of a new culture. K.C. Panigrahi places the temple to be built during 966 CE and postulates that the Somavamshi king Yayati I built the temple. He also associates the legend of Kirtivassa to this temple, but the postulation is not accepted as Kirtivasa is associated with Lingaraja, though both were built at the same time for the same deity, Shiva. There is no historic evidence to conclude that Yayati had built the temple.
Chilika lake is a brackish water lagoon, spread over the Puri, Khurda and Ganjam districts of Odisha state on the east coast of India, at the mouth of the Daya River, flowing into the Bay of Bengal, covering an area of over 1,100 km2. It is the largest coastal lagoon in India and the second largest coastal lagoon in the world[dubious – discuss] after The New Caledonian barrier reef in New Caledonia.
Geological evidence indicates that Chilika Lake was part of the Bay of Bengal during the later stages of the Pleistocene period (1.8 million to 10,000 years BP).
Excavations were conducted by the Archaeological Survey of India at Golabai Sasan (20°1′7″N 85°32′54″E) just north of Chilika lake in Khurdha district. Golabai provides evidence of a sequence of Chilika area culture in three phases: Neolithic (c. 1600 BCE), Chalcolithic (c. 1400 BCE to c. 900 BCE) and Iron Age (c. 900 BCE to c. 800 BCE). Radiocarbon dating traced the earliest level of Golbai to 2300 BCE. The site is located on the left bank of the Malaguni River, a tributary of the Daya River, which flows into Chilika Lake. This location, which gave access to the sea via Chilika Lake, gives strong evidence of the maritime activities of this region. The recovery of many woodworking adzes and other artifacts shows that Golabai was a boat-building centre. Significantly, Golabai is the only excavated site in Odisha where boat building has been revealed. This also indicates that Chilika lake was very close to Golabai and it facilitated the maritime trade of people in the area during the ancient period.
The Khandadhar Falls is located at Nandapani, Bonaigarh in Sundergarh district in the Indian state of Odisha. Kahandhar is 54 km. away from Keonjhar town of Odisha.Khandadhar Fall is located in Khandadhar Hill, one of the hills partially in Keonjhar district. On the opposite side of the hill, there is another waterfall with the same name. Khandadhar Falls, Sundagarh which is located in Banei subdivision of Sundagarh district.It is a 500 ft (152 m) high waterfall in the midst of a dense forest. It has a "smoke like" appearance created by the spraying of water as it cascades down the rock face.
At little after the origin of the waterfall, the cataract appears like an avalanche gushing down in flakes. Each flake looks like a meteor which makes a shimmering line as the fall comes in contact with the large flat rock on its halfway down. Every time there is a sudden squall, the waterfall oscillates and takes the shape of an avalanche of snowflakes. The sparkling water drops leave everybody doused. The most captivating sight is the rainbow which is formed at the base of the water fall, and the rainbow appears to dance as the water fall oscillates.
The Duduma Waterfall, 175 metres (574 ft) high, is formed by the Machkund river in Odisha & Andhra Pradesh states of India.Duduma is about 92 km from Koraput and about 177 km from Visakhapatnam. It forms a part of the boundary between Andhra Pradesh and Odisha.Duduma Waterfalls is one of the highest waterfalls in India. Its waters support a large hydroelectric project called Machkund Hydro Electric Power Project located at 'Onukudelli'. Machkund is an important place for pilgrimage. The name Machkund derived from a pilgrimage point called 'Matsya Kunda'near the township of Paderu in Andhra Pradesh. A beautiful township called 'Onukudelli' has grown around this lovely place. The aboriginal tribe of 'Bondas' live near this waterfalls. It has two sub-waterfalls one on the Odisha side and the other on the Andhra Pradesh side. The waterfalls lie in picturesque surroundings. It is one of the best tourist spots in Southern India.
Satkosia Tiger Reserve is a tiger reserve located in the Angul district of Odisha, India covering an area of 988.30 km.It is located where the Mahanadi River passes through a 22 km long gorge in the Eastern Ghats mountains.The tiger reserve is located in the Eastern Highlands moist deciduous forests ecoregion. The major plant communities are mixed deciduous forests including Sal (Shorea robusta), and riverine forest.Satkosia Gorge Wildlife Sanctuary was created in 1976, with an area of 796 km². Saktosia Tiger Reserve was designated in 2007, and comprises the Satkosia Gorge Wildlife Sanctuary and the adjacent Baisipalli Wildlife Sanctuary.Satkosia spreads along the magnificent gorge over the mighty river Mahanadi in Odisha. Established in 1976 as a wildlife sanctuary, Satkosia is a paradise of immense scenic charm. It is one of the best ecosystems in the country, representing a diverse floral and faunal extravaganza.
Satapada is a town in Puri district, Odisha, India. In Oriya sata means "seven" and padap means "village", so Satapada means group of seven villages. It is located 50 kilometers from Puri. Satapada on Chilika is home to the Irrawaddy dolphin
Satapada is located at 19°40'10"N and 85°26'38"E. It is located on the southern part of the Chilika Lake near to village Panasapada which is 36 km from puri. Satapada is also for Sea Mouth Island where Chilika Lake meets the Bay of Bengal.
The Odisha State Maritime Museum, which has been set up at this Jobra Workshop, has 10 nos of galleries along with its ancillary components, as required in a modern museum. This location, which has a beginning around 1869 has the unique distinction of being the only workshop, which catered to the requirement of three provinces of Bihar, Bengal and Odisha under the Bengal Presidency of British India. It was set up by the then PWD department of British administration through the efforts of one Scottish Engineer Mr.G.H.Faulkner immediately after the great famine of 1866 in Odisha, known as “Naa Anka Durviksha”.
The British administration took up the work of excavating the Coast Canal, Taladanda Canal and other irrigation projects to counter the effects of drought. This workshop was mainly catering to the need of anicuts, dams, canals and most important inland water transport system. At that time the access to Calcutta from Cuttack was only through a journey on river Mahanadi to the False Point near Paradeep and on sea up to Calcutta or from Chandabali to Calcutta.
The Jagannath Temple of Puri is an important Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Jagannath, a form of Vishnu, located on the eastern coast of India, at Puri in the state of Odisha.The temple is an important pilgrimage destination and one of the four great 'Char Dham' pilgrimage sites, found at India's four cardinal points.The construction of jagannath temple was build by king Indradyumna.
The temple is famous for its annual Rath Yatra, or chariot festival, in which the three principle deities are pulled on huge and elaborately decorated temple cars. Unlike the stone and metal icons found in most Hindu temples, the image of Jagannath is made of wood and is ceremoniously replaced every twelve or nineteen years by an exact replica
The temple is sacred to all Hindus and especially in those of the Vaishnava traditions. Many great saints, such as Adi Shankaracharya , Ramananda & Ramanuja were closely associated with the temple. Ramanuja established the Emar Mutt near the temple and the Govardhan Mutt, which is the seat of one of the four Shankaracharyas is also located here. It is also of particular significance to the followers of the Gaudiya Vaishnavism whose founder, Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, was attracted to the deity, Jagannath, and lived in Puri for many years
Lingaraja Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to Harihara, a form of Shiva and Vishnu and is one of the oldest temples in Bhubaneswar, the capital of the East Indian state of Odisha. The temple is the most prominent landmark of the Bhubaneswar city and one of the major tourist attractions of the state.
The Lingaraja temple is the largest temple in Bhubaneswar. The central tower of the temple is 180 ft (55 m) tall. The temple represents the quintessence of the Kalinga Architecture and culminating the medieval stages of the architectural tradition at Bhubaneswar. The temple is believed to be built by the kings from the Somavamsi dynasty, with later additions from the Ganga rulers. The temple is built in the Deula style that has four components namely, vimana (structure containing the sanctum), jagamohana (assembly hall), natamandira (festival hall) and bhoga-mandapa (hall of offerings), each increasing in the height to its predecessor. The temple complex has 50 other shrines and is enclosed by a large compound wall.
© 2019 - All Rights with IndoOncologySummit